A lot of my clients ask me regarding the big square box inside the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s a whole house fan and it may either benefit homeowners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Make use of it only when the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable compared to conditions indoors. When your air conditioner system has become operating throughout the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity is still high), don’t turn the simple tumblr post. The vent will suck each of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to utilize it might be, obviously, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it may not be smart to bring all the pollution in the house. The window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as much windows and doors as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (at the very least in the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, from the chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney so you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it may blow from the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, you can start up the complete house fan and often in the next couple of seconds you should feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the doors and windows – both really need to be balanced to work properly as a way to really gain benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn by the whole house fan should be discharged throughout the attic vents towards the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area will cause the environment that had been just pulled out of your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le and also the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to assist the top tumblr operation; you may want a lot more to handle everything extra level of air towards the exterior. As well as the formula to calculate the sq footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the dimensions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is simply a sample, calculate every one of the rooms within your house you believe should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is actually the section of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re getting into offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up for the purpose (there may be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your property air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d should divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. An additional essential thing: louvers from the tumblr.com are not air tight and get no insulation applied to their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would highly recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area to stop air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it before you take advantage of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never rely on them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet if you apply all of the above. There are currently other house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more potent, and offer air flow for prolonged amounts of time.